The Printable Countdown Calendar My Toddlers Love
Free Countdown Calendar
Are you looking for a printable countdown calendar for your little one(s)?
Look no further!
When my children started asking me over and over throughout the day…and into the night…and into the next day…when their Ee Ee (Aunt Edie) is coming to town, I realized I needed to figure out how to explain her arrival date in a way they would understand.
Saying things like, “She’ll be here in two weeks,” or, “She’s coming not this weekend but the next,” or, “It’ll be a few more days ’til she gets here,” didn’t make any sense to them.
The concept of time, let alone knowing what a day is, is hard to grasp when you are a toddler or preschooler.
My kids take a nap in the middle of the day; when they wake up, understanding it is still the same day is difficult.
That is why I decided to create a calendar that does not count days, but moons (or nights).
I explained to my children Aunt Edie is coming in a few more moons. I told them we have to see 14 moons before she gets here, and I drew them out on a sheet of paper.
I then hung up the paper on the fridge and told them they get to take turns coloring in a moon each night.
It became so fun for them, that they could not wait for night time. They would shout, “The moon is coming! The moon is coming! Ee Ee is almost here!”
Because of their excitement, we now use the How Many More Moons printable countdown calendar for all sorts of events.
Something so simple has become so helpful.
How the Printable Countdown Calendar Works
From birthdays to holidays, vacations to events, use the How Many More Moons printable countdown calendar to make the anticipation of the upcoming occasion that much more exciting!
Follow these steps:
- Download the printable countdown calendar here and print.
- Choose either the one week moon countdown or the two weeks moon countdown depending on your needs/preference.
- Fill in the blank at the top of the page for “How Many More Moons Until…”
- Hang it up somewhere in your house (we use our fridge).
- Let your child(ren) color in a moon each night until the special event happens!
Benefits of the Printable Countdown Calendar
How Many More Moons helps toddlers and/or preschoolers:
- strengthen fine motor skills with the task of coloring
- develop an understanding of the concept of time
- promote counting and learning numbers
- create a fun lead-up to any special occasion
I hope you and your family enjoy counting down the moons each night just as much as we do!
What event are you using the printable countdown calendar for? I’d love to hear! Share in the comments section below.